Saturday, February 2, 2013

non fiction responses.....

here's another assignment we completed for our non fiction unit, the written response, donn donn duunnn :) writing is absolutely getting better, but it is still a struggle/under developed part for most of my students.  Some just don't like to write and it feels like pulling teeth to get a five sentence, three paragraph piece from them.  So now I'm in the non fiction unit, and it felt like a double wammy...typically boring reading with boring writing, so what is one to do???

a few years ago I had found had a Scholastic News magazine which was about the Freedom Riders, and since this unit usually takes place during January(MLK jr. day) and February(black history month) I thought it would be an interesting view of the Civil Right movement.  It is a great article and leads to thoughtful discussions.  How I accomplish writing for a unit is: I model the writing style and have the kids usually write a paragraph or two piece to try out the writing style, in which I hold conferences and the students preform a 'glow and grow' assessment with a partner. (Glow and Grow I found on pinterest and is an AWESOME way for peers to assess each others written work, check it out!)  Then the assessed piece for their writing portfolio I usually require a three paragraph essay based on the same writing style, but different writing prompt, no help from anyone.  My struggle was how do I model a non fiction response and have student input, along with all students participating not just the few that usually do?  And an idea was born, new to me but I'm sure others have done before, have each student responsible for a sentence in the piece!  

First I had students go over what a non fiction written response requirements are and what one looks like from our writing resource, "WriteSource." Then I read the article to them while it projected on my classroom screen.  Once done I handed students a random number, which was the order in which they would write the piece.  Finally, we went to work.  I felt the student who had the number 1 card had it hardest since they had to set the tone for the whole piece.  When they were done I asked number 2 would there be any revisions you would like to make to the sentence created before you?  If they said no then I'd ask for the next sentence.  If they said yes and did a reasonable amount of revision I'd let that be their turn and ask the next person in order to create the next sentence. Those who are my "do as little as possible" and told me to change only one word in a sentence, thinking that I'd go on to the next person, I'd make create the next sentence (can't get one by me :) and my L.S/Title students I'd help out if they needed.  Through it I'd have some students say, "can I go back to the first/second paragraph and add something?"  OF COURSE!!  Once we were all done I printed out a copy and had the students get in groups of three to do a final edit before our final draft.  This process took about three days, but it turned out great!! All students were involved, had a part, and kept (for the most part) engaged in the process.

when it came to the assessed piece I had students select from a variety of Scholastic New magazines that I had left over or had not gotten to use yet.  Asked them to highlight facts during their reading, and then follow our model to complete their piece.  I have since hung the finished ones in the hall with the cover of their chosen magazine.  Interestingly, many picked the about the Titanic, they are fascinated with this story.


No comments:

Post a Comment